This coming weekend we are heading to London. My husband and kids have never been so I’m very excited to take on the city with all of them. In preparation we are trying to consume some films that take place in London. I’m compiled my list of my 17 favorites (in no particular order). There will, in fact, be Hugh Grant flicks and memorable musicals on the list. What are your faves?
1. Love, Actually, 2003, Richard Curtis. I watch every Christmas and I cry every time.
2. Oliver! 1968, Carol Reed . I always had a crush on that Artful Dodger. “Please Sir, I want some more…”
3. Mary Poppins, 1964, Robert Stevenson
4. Harry Potter (All eight of them!) 2001-2011
5. Bridget Jones’s Diary, 2001, Sharon Maguire
6. Sliding Doors, 1998, Peter Howitt
7. Shakespeare In Love, 1998, John Madden
8. The Elephant Man, 1980, David Lynch
9. The King’s Speech, 2010, Tom Hooper
10. Bend It Like Beckham, 2002, Gurinder Chadha
11. Four Weddings and a Funeral, 1994, Mike Newell
12. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, 1999, Jay Roach
13. Peter Pan, 1953, Geronimi, Jackson, Luske, Kinney
14. 101 Dalmatians, 1996, Stephen Herek
15. Bedknobs and Broomsticks, 1971, Robert Stevenson
16. Notting Hill 1999, Roger Michell
17. Secrets & Lies, 1996, Mike Leigh
My kids and I just watched the animated film Flushed Away because we heard it took place in London but we were a bit disappointed because the only time you saw the city itself was the very first scene.
I recently finished reading The Girl on the Train so I’m very excited to see that film.
Here are a few great lists of movies that take place in London. I’d love to hear your thoughts on your favorites!
10 of the Best Films Set in London – The Guardian
The Top 11 London Based Movies – from Londontopia
12 Favorite London-set movies – from Indiewire
The 50 Best London Films – from games radar.com
Romantic Movies From the Heart of London – The Culture Trip